Saturday, April 5, 2014

Healthy Surprise April 2014

Healthy Surprise is a monthly subscription service that sends you, you guessed it, healthy food. Their goal is to introduce you to food that is TRULY good for you. "We believe what you put in your body is the most important thing about your diet." The food they include in each box must be natural, vegan, healthy, gluten free, soy free, & corn free. Each product is also full size, no teeny tiny samples here. Healthy Surprise has 3 boxes & prices to choose from. There is also a new chocolate box. It's 100 dollars.

Starter Box                  Big Box                       Combo Box
$40/month                          $60/month                           $95/month           
1-2 people.                        1-4 people                           2-6 people
11+ full sized snacks          18+ full sized snacks           27+ full sized snacks
16+ servings                       32+ servings.                      48+ servings
Ships same day                   Ships same day                  Ships same day
FREE USA shipping             FREE USA shipping            Free USA shipping

This is not my first go around with Healthy Surprise, though I can't remember how I learned about them. In January of last year I was diagnosed with gall stones & I decided then was a good idea to start eating healthy. I want to say this is what got the ball rolling on my foray into healthy living. Anyway I ordered the biggest box, at the time it wasn't called the combo box & it was $100 exactly. Then I had surgery to remove my gallbladder on the 9th, 1 day before my 21st birthday. (Fitting since I don't care to drink.) it wasn't a 'passed with flying colors' surgery either. They ended up going in the old fashioned way (painful as hell, nicked my bile duct (bile leaked into my abdominal cavity, also painful as hell & need a drainage tube put in my side). As a result of all this I spend 3 months in & out of the hospital & hopped up on strong pain killers. I say this because my box of goodies sat untouched all that time & by the time I was ok to resume a normal life, everything they sent me expired. (They sent me a lot of raw food bars & other raw goodies that had experation dates). So I threw the box away. Fast forward nearly a year, I took the plunge & reordered but this time I got the big bix. I have to admit when I first ordered this box in Jan 2013 I was VERY intimated by all the health food, especially the raw snacks. However, I've since become a bit more familiar with these types of goodies.

I want to apologize in advance for the crappy photos. They were taken with my phone & I was pretty shaky. So without further ado, here is what I received in this months box. 



The green. yellow & white motif is through out the entire box.


The pamphlet & green sticker come in every box. The sticker has a code to save $10 on first month. Not sure if the $25 gift card does or not. It must be for new subscribers. Also there were 2 layers to this box each layer was wrapped with green tissue paper (only the top with yellow).


All the goodies unwrapped. I tried to make it look as good as I could.


Gopal's Rawma BarHigh enzyme energy bar in Apple Delicious 
Gopal's Rawma Bar is raw, USDA Organic, sprouted, & gluten free. The ingredients apples, dates, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, raisins, figs, & lemon. This is a 1.8oz bar so it's quite hearty. A single bar retails for $1.95.


Gopal's Sprouties - Sunflower seeds in Original 
Made by the same company these are simple raw, USDA organic, sprouted gluten free sunflower seeds. Besides the obvious the only other ingredient is stone ground Himalayan salt. This 2oz packet retails for $1.19.


Plum Kids Organic Mashups - Fruit & Veggie Smoothie in Carrot Chop
This is something I'm a bit scared of because I'm not the biggest fan of carrots. Though I will eat them I prefer them raw to cooked. This smoothie is USDA organic The ingredients are organic apple puree, organic carrot puree, organic mango puree, pure organic orange juice concentrate, & organic lemon juice concentrate. This single 3.17oz pouch retails for roughly $1.00.

Plum Kids Organic Mashups - Squeezable Fruit in Berry
No clue why these 2 product have different names considering they are both puree/smoothies. This like the carrot smoothie is USDA organic. The ingredients are organic apple, strawberry, blackberry,& blueberry fruit puree. This single 3.17oz pouch retails for roughly $1.00


Go Raw - Banana Bread Flax Bar
I just realized as I typed the flavor of the bar that it was banana bread. I love banana bread! This USDA organic bar is raw, vegan, gluten free, wheat free, nut free, all live (dried under 105 F), all seeds sprouted, no GMOs, no trans fat, no cholesterol. The ingredients are sprouted organic flax seeds, organic bananas, organic coconut (unsulphured), organic dates. I'm eating this bar now & it's delicious. It's basically a piece of dehydrated banana bread except WAY healthier. I tried to calculated the price of this single bar but I failed. On amazon.com a box of 10 12gram bars costs $11.90 or $2.98/oz. I'm going to assume this single 12gram bar probably retails for $.50 or less.


Home Free - Mini Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
Theses all natural, whole grain, double chocolate chip cookies are certified vegan, gluten free, & non-GMO. They are peanut free, tree nut free, egg free, dairy free, gluten free, no soy, no cholesterol, no trans fat, & low sodium. I've had this brand before, in fact they were in my first ever Healthy Surprise box. I had received the chocolate chip cookies. I tried them first because they were the least intimidating thing in the box & I didn't care for them. I didn't think they had much flavor. From what I've read about gluten free baking it can be hard to replicate non-gluten free flavors. However these double chocolate ones taste like the real deal. A single .95oz pack retails $1.49


Snapz - Crunchy Raisins
For some reason the packaging of the raisins are in English & French while the others are only in Engish. The only ingredients are grapes.

Snapz - Crunchy Premium Apple Crisps
The only ingredients are apple slices and drops of lemon juice.

Snapz - Premium Pineapple Crunch
The only ingredient is pineapple. 
All 3 are nut free, gluten free, not fried, no added sugar or salt, no artificial additives or preservatives. The grapes & pineapples are GMO free but the apples don't say GMO free. A single .46oz bag retails for $1.99


rise - Energy+  bar in Apricot Goji
This is a blended fruit & nut energy bar for in between meals. It's USDA organic, gluten free & vegan. Free of GMOs, preservatives, dairy, soy & peanuts. The ingredients are cashews, dates, almonds, apricots, brown rice syrup, tapioca syrup, amaranth, sea salt, & goji berries. A single 1.6oz bar retails for $1.90.


Alter Eco - Dark Cacao Organic Chocolate
This dark chocolate bar is 63% cacao and is USDA organic & Fair Trade Certified. This 2.82oz full sized bar retails for $3.99


Enjoy Life - not nuts! Seed and Fruit mix in Mountain Mambo
This trail mix is free of the 8 common allergens, certified gluten free & vegan. The ingredients are sunflower kernels, pumpkin seeds, raisins, apples, chocolate chips, & cranberries. I love a good trail mix with both crunchy & chewy textures. I will definitely enjoy this. :p This grab & go pack retails for $1.33.


Trophy Farms - All Natural Oven Roasted Almonds
Who doesn't love a good almond? Probably someone who's allergic, Tianna. Almonds are naturally gluten free so no worries there. They are also low sodium. The only other ingredient besides the obvious is sea salt. I would like to also point out, the old fashioned packaging. A win in my book. A grab & go pack retails for $1.69.


Veggie-Go's - Chewy fruit & veggie snacks in Carrot Ginger
Ingredients are organic apples, organic carrots, & organic ginger.

Veggie-Go's - Chewy fruit & veggie snacks in Mountain Berry Spinach
The ingredients are organic apples, organic spinach, organic strawberries, organic raspberries, organic blueberries, & organic sweet potatoes.

These fruit leathers are USDA Organic, Certified Vegan & gluten free. A single fruit strip retails for $1.00


Hail Merry - Macaroons in Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
I'm no stranger to these delicious little morsels. I've only had them in strawberry & I didn't notice until I began writing this post that they were cookie dough! Theses macaroons are Certified Vegan, Gluten Free, & Non GMO. This 3.5oz bag retails for $5.00.


just pure foods - KALEnola in Maple Cranberry
This is by far the most interesting item in the box. I feel like I've seen kale granola on the Internet. Not sure if it was this brand or not. This kalenola is Vegan, Gluten Free, USDA Organic, Nut Free, Raw, Yeast Free. The ingredients are Kale*, Sprouted*, Buckwheat*, Sprouted Sunflower Seeds*, Dried Cranberries (Apple Juice Sweetened)*, Agave*, Coconut Palm Sugar*, Cinnamon*, Lucuma*, Vanilla*, Himalayan Rock Salt. A 3oz bag retails $7.00.
* denotes certified organic ingredients


Myrna's Skinny Crisps - Gourmet Crackers in Cinnamon Crisps
I've had these before, they were also in my very first HS box. I received them in Brownie Crisps, did try them and didn't like them. Didn't think they tasted even remotely  brownie like. These Cinnamon Crisps are pretty tasty though. They definitely taste healthy but the cinnamon is a nice touch. These are wheat free, rice free, corn free, & GMO free. They are also naturally gluten free. & Certified as so. A 5oz bag retails for $5.99.


So there is everything that came in April's Healthy Surprise box. If my calculations are correct the total of all 18 items comes to $42. 18 dollars less then the 60 dollars I paid for the box. Not a huge difference so no complaints. If you would like to sign up for a monthly box of all natural snacks head over to Healthy Surprise

No comments:

Post a Comment