Monday, March 24, 2014

A Brief Story of How I Decided to Go Green

This blog is pretty self explanatory. When I was still a pre-teen I decided to be vegetarian for the simple reason that meat grossed me out. I was also pretty paranoid about getting a food born illness.
 In 2008 I became sick for an unknown reason and no matter what I ate I would become sick to my stomach. It didn't matter the time of day nor what I ate, I could count on vomiting not long after. It got so bad that I was hospitalized that October, having lost 36 lbs. I don't weigh much to begin with. They couldn't find anything wrong with me and chalked it up to it being all in my head & me having an eating disorder. Needless to say I was pissed. I was sent home with some anti-nausea pills and they left it at that.

Over time I've learned to listen to my body noting which foods make me sick and which foods don't. However that really doesn't matter since my stomach is so messed up, some days I can eat something specific and others that specific food makes me sick. Also in 2008 I became severely depressed at this point I wasn't eating much to begin with but due to my depression I lost any appetite I had left. I only ate when I had hunger pains and the food I ate was fast food & processed junk. Fast forward to 2013 I was diagnosed with gallstones. I had to have my gallbladder removed the day before my 21st birthday. As a result of this surgery I started to look into healthier ways of living. It started with Organic food & then it became Vegan food.

On October 20, 2013 I stopped eating McDonald's, all fast food since March 17, 2014 (I was doing great with this until pizza was ordered & I caved). I cut out soda on March 10, 2014. I still eat processed food. However, since the fall of 2013 I've done quite a bit of research on healthy living. I went from wanting to cut out meat because it grossed me out to finding out about just how bad EVERYTHING on a standard supermarket shelf was. I've learned about the toxins in our food, clothing, cleaning & beauty products. I've learned about the environmental damage that's done to bring these products to consumers. The cruelty to animals to test the products & workers who work in the factories.

I don't know everything there is to know about the eco/green lifestyle nor am I an expert. I'm simply starting this blog to record my journey to going green & I hope to inspire others to join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment